Monday, February 8, 2010

Cool places around every corner

For all of you back in the states it's Superbowl Sunday, but here in Korea it is Superbowl Monday, we are fascinating creatures of the future, more amazing than Avatars.. yeah I saw Avatar yesterday.
Today was pretty good so far, I had the internet installed in my house (FINALLY), but not without a comical round two of "Nadja's Adventures in Miscommunication". The landlord came today with the internet guy, who as opposed to my landlord who knows about ten english words, knows none.
I just pulled out my "teach yourself korean" book and stayed out of his way as he fiddled with his tools, until he starting talking at me in korean and pointing to the spot on the floor next to him. So I scooted closer and he pointed at the screen to a page entirely in korean. I recognized the page from Tyler's computer and gathered that I needed to pick a username and password. After three failed attempts to pick a password (I still don't know why it wasn't working) the internet man became fed up and pulled the computer away, typed something in and said, "this your password!" so he picked it for me.
While he continued to work I got up to make myself some coffee that my wonderful parents sent me. My stove is really finicky (remember I live in a less than stellar place) so you have to attempt to light the gas 2-3 times before it actually works. Well as I was on my third attempt to light it the man ran over and brushed me aside and turned it on, giving me a worried look. At moments like this the whole language barrier is quite frustrating, if I had the ability to talk to him I could calmly say, "sir, thank you for your concern but I'm not a total idiot, I know how to turn my stove on. Clearly I have lived here for a month and the place has not burnt down nor have I died in a gas den!" But since I only know a few words and none of them convey the above message I had to accept the fact that I would probably be the dinner story later... "this american girl today, what a dim dilly.."
Now that the internet is up and running I feel like my home is really my home. No more listening to my same old music day in and day out.
This past weekend my coworkers and I went out to Hongdae to celebrate the departure of one of the tutors. It was a celebration because he is not so fond of being here and is very excited about going home. We went to three places, the first one was just an average bar and everyone was taking tequila shots. I'm not a fan of tequila so I stuck to beer.
The next place we went to was awesome, it was called 500. The interior is designed, floor to ceiling, like a cave. There are smaller cave rooms that you can sit with your friends in, and a big long tables in the larger room. The snacks they provide with the drinks are better than most places, caramel corn and tangerines. (** All bars provide carbolicious snacks with drinks, usually fruity puffs or pretzels) I will definitely go back there and next time I'll bring a camera.
We ended the night at a korean hiphop club, which was quite the experience. Back home I'm used to a little law called Maximun capacity, over here that doesn't seem to exist. I was okay with that because I had my coat checked and a small purse, but a couple of my coworkers had some claustrophic freakouts and needed to leave.
People were really nice in the club, a lot of people asked me where I was from and got super excited when I said I was from California (thanks mom for raising me in a top tourist state and not in Delaware), and they are really big on high fives over here, because it's considered an American thing to do. A couple people tapped me and then put their hands up for me to highfive, sure, why not?
The only thing that was creepy, but not as bad as clubs in SF, were the anonymous grabbers. Some things are the same everywhere: creepers. This one guy was being extra creepy, so my friend Sean came over and started being creepy to him and he lurked away. Yeah awesome coworkers!
I really wish I had a nice camera because looking out into the club was quite a sight, so many people dancing to the music, it looked like the crowd was a living organ. Green lights flashing and the dj playing korean and american hiphop and you can dance however you want because there are enough people that no one will notice your dorky moves.
Tyler found a local Canadian sports bar called Beer-O-Clock and for all you Davis people, it really reminds me of a nicer version of G Street. It's right around the corner from our apartments, but here's the best best best part.....they have western style brunch on sundays! That is quite difficult to find over here. I had my first tatse of bacon in over a month and a half and it was even better than I remembered. Bacon, scrambled eggs, potatoes, toast and coffee for 9,000, I was very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment