Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy One Year Anniversary Seoul ^^

So yesterday was a momentous day, it marked the one year anniversary of my arrival to Korea. I had a new student yesterday and she asked me how long I had been in Korea, I usually round up, you know, to sound more impressive, but as my eyes fluttered to the calendar I realized that it was exactly one year. 일연.
"I've been here one year exactly!" I said excitedly.
"Oh.." She paused, and then said, equally enthusiastically, "congratulations!"
After work Tyler and I went to Beer O Clock to have a celebratory beer with our chicken wings, Tuesday night in chicken wing night in Sinchon, by the way. It seems fitting that we arrived during the holidays, this entire week is a time of reflection on the past, present and future. It's my first Christmas away from home, my one year anniversary of being an expat in Asia, and my second new year. I will have officially spend the entire 2010 calendar year outside of the U.S.
I had dinner with my coworker today and we were talking about life, and I said, "it doesn't feel like a year has gone by" but no sooner had the words left my mouth than I realized how silly they sounded. What's a year supposed to feel like? Regardless if I feel like three months, or ten years has gone by, it's only been 365 days.
I'm excited for the next year, life will definitely be different here. Friends are coming and going, and I still have seven more months to experience life on this cool peninsula. I'm going to work on my new year's resolutions over the next couple of days, well two days until nye... I'll probably go with the usual ones that I never stick to, like exercising more and eating better, ha, like that'll happen! Probably being conversant in Spanish? It.... could maybe happen.... we'll see. Anyhoo, I have two days to make up an unrealistic list of soon-to-be forfeited life goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment