Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Seoul Microbrewery Challenge

Sitting in my new office with the sunshine pouring in my window and some free time inspired me to do some further research on the Seoul microbrewery quest. I've been eagerly awaiting the Korean Herald's follow up article on microbreweries north of the Han river ever since I read the first one about the southern microbreweries. http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/NEWKHSITE/data/html_dir/2010/01/29/201001290056.asp I've already knocked two of the breweries off my list, Platinum and Castle Praha. I liked Castle Praha a lot, the atmosphere was nice, the beer was good and the staff was great and spoke perfect english. They only had three beers on tap, but all three of them were good and their flight deal is pretty good: 10 beers for 35,000 won, which can be split among multiple people or not shared for the more ambitious types. Platinum had a bigger selection but the beers just weren't good. I prefer quality to quantity. While I was researching, combing through the dismal web results for "seoul microbreweries" I was surprised to find review after review praising Platinum. The brewery has two locations and I've only been to one, but I would be pretty shocked if the quality of beer differed that drastically from one restaurant to the next. I'm determined that there is a better brewery out there and I'm going to find it.
Since I have 40 weeks to go before the end of my contract I want to try all the microbreweries on the Korean Herald list, as well as hopefully finding a couple gems of my own to contribute to the tiresome search for a perfect pint in Seoul. I'm tired of settling for Cass and I'm not willing to pay 13,ooo won for a pint of Guiness so I'll search, sample and update whenever I find something good and if anyone else knows a good direction to point me in, let me know. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. HI. I am BK. I was just googling to find where a microbrewery is in Seoul, and all of sudden, it got me to here. Well... Since I sutdied in Australia for years, some beers here suprised me enough to make me be a microbrewery snob. I am sick of Korean Cass and Hite.^^ Anyway I like all you said in this blog. When I come back home, korea, I might need to challege to look for a great microbrewery. BK

    ReplyDelete