Sunday, January 24, 2010

It's sunday afternoon and I'm once again at One Tree Hill, but this might be one of my last visits because Tyler is getting internet at his place on Monday, woot. I'm gonna miss paying 3,000 won for watered down coffee and listening to "I believe I can fly" while I rudely talk on skype while people study around me, yeah... gonna miss this place *wipes away nostalgic tear.
I had a good week, I love learning random trivia about Korea through my students during our lessons. One student told me that hockey is the crew of Korea. It's a sport that no one really plays except super rich people, and the SKY colleges (Korea's ivy league schools, Seoul University, Korea University and Yonsei University, yeah it spells SKY) all have hockey teams, and rich guys that aren't that smart can get in with a ..... hockey scholarship!
I have a couple students that I really like and the lessons just fly by and my coworkers are all cool people.
On friday it was another coworkers last day so we went to the same BBQ place (delicious but pricey) and had some soju and beef, then a group of us went back to Sinchon to have another beer at this bar called The Doors, the closest bar to my apartment so I'm gonna push for going there, it's nice to have a quick walk home.
Saturday I had to work, but it wasn't so bad. On saturdays we get to wear casual clothes and we don't start until 10:30. After work I sprinted home so that I could take a power nap before going to Hongdae (which is the night club area). I was excited to be going somewhere new so I pretended that the weather wasn't freezing and got all gussied up. I did my hair, my makeup, and even put on a dress and then headed over to Tyler's to have a few beers before going out.
After everyone else got to Tyler's we settled on the warm floors (all floors in Korea are heated btw) and ate some strange chips and drank some beer. We never left. We just sat around talking and drinking and never left for Hongdae, and it didn't even matter. I really like the people I've been hanging out with over here, everyone is so interesting and different.
The only awkward moment of the night was when Tyler and Matt were talking about Canadian politics, and our Australian coworker Sean was piping in, while Ms. Ignant America had to sit silently and curse herself for not knowing anything about any other countries, note to self: look up Canadian history, politics etc, etc. At least I know that by the end of the year I'll be more educated about the goings on of other places. I even watch the BBC news everyday now.
Sean took Tyler and I to a burrito place today that was quite tasty but the burritos don't quite taste like Guads back at home.
The guys at the office have been passing books around and I'm next in line to read The Road, it sounds good, creepy, and a quick read. I'll just have to make sure to not read it at night cause I live alone and get scared easily. I remember my first year at Davis I got in a bad habit of watching Cold Case Files while I was home alone and the sun would set as the epiosde ended and then I'd get really freaked out and eagerly await my roommates return.
That's all for now,
Nadja

No comments:

Post a Comment